Causeway Chronicle

Villagers make it a dismal December

The Loughgall defence clear their lines as Coleraine mount second half pressure.

Coleraine 1 Loughgall 3

Another defeat at the Showgrounds today to round off a dismal December.

And little by the way of any new year cheer for the small crowd that braved the cold after another flat performance.

Frustrated fans again let their feelings be known at the end.

After the Boxing Day blow at Ballymena, Coleraine were left on the canvas by buoyant Loughgall.

Next Friday’s Irish Cup clash with Cliftonville now takes on massive importance!

And expect plenty of coming and going  on the personnel front during January.

After a pretty even opening, it was the visitors who almost opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour but Andrew Hoey’s effort rolled agonisingly past the post.

Moments later, Caolan Loughran wasn’t far away with an ambitious long range attempt which dipped just over the crossbar.

An inviting Lyndon Kane cross missed by Andy Scott after half an hour – and a deflected Dean Jarvis drive – was pretty much it as far as Coleraine’s attacking threat was concerned.

Benji Magee showed how it should be done as Loughgall went ahead eight minutes before the break.

The in-form striker ran at a retreating backline before expertly clipping home his 14th goal of the season.

Coleraine hit back within six minutes of the second half.

The visitors were caught exposed as Lee Lynch broke from an Aaron Jarvis pass and he squared for Davy McDaid who slotted home.

But Loughgall’s response was instant.

Pablo Andrade floated a 52nd minute free kick into the box and Nathaniel Ferris guided the ball into the net off the post.

A controversial decision handed the Villagers a third after 61 minutes.

The home side felt they should have had an offside decision before Dean Jarvis chopped down Magee and Ferris blasted home the resultant penalty for his second of the afternoon.

Aaron Jarvis had a tame shot stopped by Berraat Turker and Kane fired over as Coleraine tried to find a way back into the contest.

In truth Oran Kearney’s side never really looked like salvaging anything as they fell to a demoralising defeat.

* A minute’s applause was held in the 21st minute by both sets of players, officials and fans as a mark of respect to Ballymena United fan Lydia Ross who tragically lost her life on Thursday night.

Coleraine mount second half pressure.

A solid second half performance from Mitchell as Coleraine upped the tempo against Loughgall.

McLaughlin causing problems for the Loughgall defence.

Fighting on . . . Coleraine manager Oran Kearney oversaw another frustrating afternoon as his side went down 3-1 to Loughgall.

Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson