Causeway Chronicle

Marathon shootout success for Bannsiders

Ballymena United 1 Coleraine 1

Coleraine win 18-17 on penalties 

Coleraine are through to the quarter finals of the BetMcLean Cup…but it won’t live long in the memory – apart from a crazy ending!

Oran Kearney’s men were victorious at the Ballymena Showgrounds tonight after a thrilling penalty shootout following extra time.

It might not have been pretty but ultimately it’s all about victory and a place in the draw that matters.

Coleraine had an early let off as Ryan Waide latched onto a poor Lyndon Kane backpass after only two minutes but he blasted over the crossbar.

After Josh Carson smashed a free kick over the top, Waide again tested Gareth Deane, but the ‘keeper made a comfortable stop.

Deane was forced to make a vital save on 32 minutes as the home side threatened to break the stalemate, rushing out to block Mikey Place.

Kane drilled in a 38th minute shot from distance which didn’t overly trouble Sam Johnstone.

It summed up a first half played in a subdued atmosphere – plenty of huff and puff from both teams but little quality.

It was the Sky Blues who delivered that missing bit of quality in the final minute of the first period as they took the lead.

Steven McCullough whipped in a great free kick and captain Scott Whiteside rose to head home.

Coleraine were handed a way back into the tie early in the second half.

Substitute Davy McDaid was fouled inside the box by Place after 59 minutes and Carson blasted home the spot kick.

Ballymena went close to restoring their lead before the game eventually drifted into extra time.

First McCullough had a free kick deflected narrowly over, then Deane had to make an important block to keep out Isaac Westendorf.

Like the previous 90 minutes, extra time provided little by way of excitement.

McDaid had a shot from Conor McKendry’s driven cross blocked and Place headed a McCullough cross over..that was as close as we came to a winner from either side.

And so to penalties.

Carson, Dean Jarvis and Michael McCrudden converted – Kieran Farren and Kane missed – as it went to sudden death.
McKendry, Graham Kelly, Jamie Glackin and McDaid scored before Lee Lynch missed.
Then came the turn of the goalkeepers who both scored and so we went again!
Carson, Jarvis, McCrudden, Kelly, McKendry, McDaid netted again – Glackin missed – before Deane and Kane struck before Farren hit the winner as Coleraine  finally triumphed close to 11pm!

Ballymena United 26 Samuel Johnston GK 2 Kym Nelson 3 Corrie Burns 4 Donal Rocks 5 Scot Whiteside C 7 Alexander Gawne 10 Ryan Waide 11 Steven McCullough 16 Fraser Taylor 28 Dylan Boyle 37 Isaac Westendorf Substitutions 1 Sean O’Neill GK 15 Fiontan O’Boyle 17 Andrew McGrory 20 Thomas (tj) Murray 22 Caleb Crawford 30 Michael Place 33 Noah Stewart

Coleraine 1 Gareth Deane GK 2 Lyndon Kane C 3 Dean Jarvis
5 Graham Kelly 7 Conor McKendry 11 Joshua Carson 14 Kieran Farren 17 Jamie Glackin 22 Andrew Mitchell 23 Jake Wallace 29 Andrew Scott Substitutions 12 Martin Gallagher GK 6 Aaron Jarvis 10 David McDaid 16 Lee Lynch 21 Jack O’Mahony 26 Michael McCrudden 31 Senan Devine

Referee: Evan Boyce 1st assistant: John Doherty 2nd assistant: David Burns 4th official: Jamie Robinson


Maurice Bradley