Causeway Chronicle

Late McDaid strike salvages a point

Coleraine 1 Carrick Rangers 1

Davy McDaid rescued a point for Coleraine with a late leveller.

The striker stepped up in the absence of Matthew Shevlin to grab his side a point.

Despite dominating for long spells, Oran Kearney’s side looked like falling to defeat after conceding early prior to McDaid’s later intervention.

Carrick flew out of the traps and required only four minutes to take the lead.

And what a stunner it was as Reece Glendinning smashed a free kick into the top corner after Lyndon Kane had been penalised for a foul in Danny Purkis.

Coleraine gained the upper hand as they pushed for an equaliser.

Davy McDaid flashed a header wide and Josh Carson and Conor McKendry had shots saved by Ross Glendinning.

Despite controlling most of the game, the home side struggled to create any clear openings.

Carrick went close to doubling their advantage on a rare foray forward.

Gareth Deane was forced to push Andy Mitchell’s long range drive around the post ten minutes before the break.

It was Deane to the rescue again on 38 minutes as he tipped Stewart Cameron’s header from Mitchell’s corner over the crossbar.

Aaron Jarvis, a replacement for the injured Carson, brought a fine stop out of Glendinning with a long range drive in first half injury time.

Lee McLaughlin and Andrew Mitchell replaced Jake Wallace and Senan Devine for the second period.

It was McKendry who once again looked liveliest and he fired an effort into the side netting just before the hour mark.

Next to try his luck was McLaughlin – who did well after his introduction – who headed Kane’s dinked cross over the bar.

The Bannsiders were restricted to long range efforts against their well organised opponents and a 25 yard Lynch effort, followed by a McDaid drive, posed little problem for Glendinning.

The woodwork denied Coleraine a 70th minute leveller. Cameron sliced Kane’s cross past his own ‘keeper but the ball struck the base of the post.

The home side’s pressure finally paid off 11 minutes from time as they equalised.

McKendry was again the creator with McDaid firing home from close range to earn his team a share of the spoils.

Saturday’s Coleraine game ended in controversy. Carrick Rangers defender Cameron Stewart was shown a red card after the final whistle following his team’s 1-1 draw.

Coleraine 1 Gareth Deane GK 2 Lyndon Kane C 3 Dean Jarvis 7 Conor McKendry 10 David McDaid 11 Joshua Carson 14 Kieran Farren 16 Lee Lynch 17 Jamie Glackin 23 Jake Wallace 31 Senan Devine Substitutions 12 Martin Gallagher GK 6 Aaron Jarvis 21 Jack O’Mahony 22 Andrew Mitchell 26 Michael McCrudden 28 Lee McLaughlin 32 Alfie Gaston

Carrick Rangers 1 Ross Glendinning GK 2 Kurtis Forsythe 3 Cameron Stewart 8 Andrew Mitchell 11 Nedas Maciulaitis 12 Lewis MacKinnon 19 Joe Crowe
20 Kyle Cherry 23 Reece Glendinning 24 Daniel Purkis 39 Ben Tilney C Substitutions 25 Ben McCauley GK 4 Mark Surgenor 5 Albert Watson 6 Steven Gordon 9 Emmett McGuckin 10 Curtis Allen 17 Joshua Andrews

Referee: Steven Gregg
1st assistant: Paul Robinson 2nd assistant: Gavin Hegarty 4th official: Declan Hassan

Causeway Chronicle

Causeway Chronicle