Causeway Chronicle

Cup despair for Coleraine

Coleraine 2 Glenavon 3

A bitter blow for Coleraine as they were knocked out of the BetMcLean Cup on Tuesday night.

This was a real opportunity missed . . . with home advantage again awaiting in the semi finals.

After Saturday’s disappointing draw at Mourneview Park against ten men, Oran Kearney’s men again came up short against Glenavon.

Davy McDaid had an early chance after just three minutes when he was picked out by Dean Jarvis but he fired wide.

The game had a very similar feel to Saturday’s meeting. Both teams had plenty of the ball but lacked any real creativity, with both ‘keepers again relatively untroubled.

Then, suddenly, the game burst into life.

It was Glenavon who drew first blood on 31 minutes. Tiernan Mulvenna released Jack Malone inside the box and he took a touch before planting a shot beyond Gareth Deane.

Coleraine’s response was swift as Dean Jarvis levelled after 33 minutes. A Lee Lynch free kick was flicked on by Graham Kelly and when the ball fell at the feet of the defender at the back post he slotted home.

It was the visitors who restored their advantage in first half injury time. The defence should have stopped Peter Campbell getting his shot away initially before Aaron Prendergast pounced from close range.

The second half was much the same…both teams couldn’t be faulted for effort but quality was lacking. Conor McKendry went close to equalising after 68 minutes but Conor Kerr was in the right place to head clear off the line.

Sixty seconds later the winger fizzed a long range drive past the post.

Glenavon got everyone behind the ball for the final quarter of an hour as the Bannsiders tried to find a way back into the tie.

But in truth they never looked like levelling as they made a somewhat tame exit from the competition.

Cohen Henderson rubbed salt into the wound with a breakaway third two minutes from time after being teed up by Campbell.

McKendry offered a glimmer of hope when his cross cum shot in injury time drifted over Rory Brown to reduce the arrears.

But it was too little too late as the final whistle sounded and a frustrated home support vented their feelings at the final whistle.


Michael Anderson