Causeway Chronicle

A welcome win for Coleraine

Coleraine 3 Loughgall 2

A welcome three points for Coleraine in atrocious conditions this afternoon.

After their midweek cup exit and beginning the day with just one win from their last seven league outings, victory was imperative.

A small crowd braved the elements and  they were rewarded as they saw the Bannsiders triumph.

They played out the final 11 minutes with ten men after Davy McDaid’s dismissal.

On a day to remember for Ciaran O’Hara who grabbed a goal on his first start – and was voted man of the match – this was a much improved performance and a fairly comfortable win.

Oran Kearney’s men started brightly, with Conor McKendry shooting into the side netting in the opening minute.

The home side dictated the early tempo, with Loughgall content to get behind the ball and keep their shape.

Aaron Jarvis made a break into the box on 13 minutes but his attempt was easily stopped by Daniel Devine.

It was highly rated O’Hara who marked his first start for the club with the opener.

The striker, who came off the bench against Glenavon on Tuesday, got on the end of Jamie Glackin’s 14th minute corner to head home from close range.

He went close again six minutes later when he arrived at the back post but was unable to turn home a Lee Lynch cross.

Loughgall levelled against the run of play with a stunner on 23 minutes.

There appeared little danger as Tiernan Kelly picked up the ball 30 yards from goal but he unleashed a piledriver which sailed past Gareth Deane. 

Caolan Loughran almost made things worse after the half hour mark when he popped up unopposed at the back post but he headed past the post.

Coleraine created an opening seven minutes before half time when Lyndon Kane released McKendry but he pulled his shot wide.

It was Lynch, however, who showed how it should be done as he drilled his side back into the lead on 40 minutes, after the ball broke to him inside the box.

Coleraine stretched their lead after 61 minutes at the end of a flowing move.

Dean Jarvis delivered a perfect pass into the box where McKendry timed his run to perfection to smash home.

Deane was then called into action twice in quick succession to keep the lead intact.

A red card for McDaid for a late challenge on Nathaniel Ferris after 79 minutes meant a backs-to-the-wall finale.

Benji Magee cored a consolation in the 97th minute.

But despite those seven minutes of injury time, the Bannsiders held on to notch a deserved victory.

Coleraine 1 Gareth Deane GK 2 Lyndon Kane C 3 Dean Jarvis 5 Graham Kelly 6 Aaron Jarvis 7 Conor McKendry 10 David McDaid 14 Kieran Farren 16 Lee Lynch 17 Jamie Glackin 49 Ciaran O’Hara Substitutions 12 Martin Gallagher GK 21 Jack O’Mahony 23 Jake Wallace 26 Michael McCrudden 28 Lee McLaughlin 31 Senan Devine 32 Alfie Gaston

Loughgall 20 Daniel Devine GK 3 Jamie Rea 4 Ben Murdock C 6 Tiernan Kelly 7 Pablo Andrade 8 Alan Teggart 13 Jordan Gibson 15 Luke Cartwright 21 Benjamin Magee 22 Jay Boyd 23 Caolan Loughran Substitutions 1 Berraat Turker GK 5 Oran Brogan 9 Nathaniel Ferris 10 Andrew Hoey 12 Robbie Norton 14 Mark Patton 24 Aaron Duke

Referee: Christopher Morrison
1st assistant: George Argyropoulos 2nd assistant: Gavin Hegarty 4th official: Mark Milligan


Michael Anderson